Javed Khan, M.D.
The mission of the Oncogenomics Section is to harness the power of high throughput genomic and proteomic methods to improve the outcome of children with high-risk metastatic, refractory and recurrent cancers. The research goals are to integrate the data, decipher the biology of these cancers and to identify and validate biomarkers and novel therapeutic targets and to rapidly translate our findings to the clinic.
Open - Not yet RecruitingNCI Protocol ID NCI-17-C-0040Investigator Javed Khan, M.D.Share this trial: Referral Contacts
Contact Name Phone Number Javed Khan 240.760.6135
Mission of the Oncogenomics Section
The mission of the Oncogenomics Section is to harness the power of high throughput genomic and proteomic methods to improve the outcome of children with high-risk metastatic, refractory and recurrent cancers. The research goals are to integrate the data, decipher the biology of these cancers and to identify and validate biomarkers and novel therapeutic targets and to rapidly translate our findings to the clinic. For more information about our research, visit the Oncogenomics Section website.
1. Comprehensive Omics Analysis: a) Applying high-throughput genomics, proteomics mathematical modeling and bioinformatics to characterize currently incurable malignancies including metastatic, resistant and relapsed tumors for the identification and validation of biomarkers and therapeutic targets. b) Genome wide association studies and mutational screening of germ-line DNA.
2. Targeted Therapeutics: a) High-throughput siRNA, small molecule, natural products, and drug screening for high-risk pediatric malignancies. b) Development of molecularly targeted therapeutic agents against existing and newly identified targets.
3. Translational Oncology: Leverage the existing clinical and scientific strengths within the Genetics Branch including phase 1/2 therapeutics, immune/vaccine therapy and molecular biology to translate these findings to the clinic in an environment where there is state-of-the-art clinical care.
Selected Key Publications
- Cancer Discov. 7(8): 884-899, 2017. [ Journal Article ]
MultiDimensional ClinOmics for Precision Therapy of Children and Adolescent Young Adults with Relapsed and Refractory Cancer: A Report from the Center for Cancer Research.Clin Cancer Res. 22(15): 810-20, 2016. [ Journal Article ]
- PLoS Genet . 11: e1005075 , 2015. [ Journal Article ]
- PLoS Genet. 10: e1004475, 2014. [ Journal Article ]
Comprehensive genomic analysis of rhabdomyosarcoma reveals a landscape of alterations affecting a common genetic axis in fusion-positive and fusion-negative tumors.Cancer Discov. 4: 216-31, 2014. [ Journal Article ]
Dr. Khan obtained his bachelor's degree in 1984 and his master's degrees in 1989 in immunology and parasitology at England's University of Cambridge. He subsequently obtained his M.D. there and the postgraduate degree of MRCP (Membership of the Royal College of Physicians), equivalent to board certification in the United States. After clinical training in internal medicine and pediatrics as well as other specialties, he received a Leukemia Research Fellowship. In May 2001, Dr. Khan joined the Pediatric Branch, NCI, as a tenure track investigator. Dr. Khan and colleagues have published a new model for diagnosis of cancer using artificial neural networks (ANN), a form of artificial intelligence, and microarray technology. In April 2001, Dr. Khan was recognized by the American Association for Cancer Research for his work in tumor profiling by receiving a Scholar in Training Award. Recently Dr Khan has led an international collaboration to perform comprehensive analysis of pediatric cancer genomes using next generation sequencing strategies.
|Peter Azorsa||Postbaccalaureate Fellow|
|Leslie Brents M.S.||Biologist|
|Andrew Brohl M.D.||Guest Researcher|
|Hsien-Chao Chou||Bioinformatics Analyst (Leidos)|
|Scott A. Goldweber||Bioinformatics Analyst (Leidos)|
|Berkley Gryder Ph.D.||Postdoctoral Fellow (CRTA)|
|Igor Kuznetsov Ph.D.||Research Collaborator|
|Nityashree Shivaprasad M.S.||Predoctoral Fellow|
|Sivasish Sindiri M.S.||Bioinformatics Analyst (Leidos)|
|Young Song Ph.D.||Biologist|
|Manoj Tyagi Ph.D.||Bioinformatics Analyst (Leidos)|
|Jun S. Wei, Ph.D.||Staff Scientist|
|Xinyu Wen M.S.||Bioinformatics Analyst (Leidos)|
- Yu Y et al., Nat Med 10(2):175-81, 2014
Please note all of our databases have been consolidated into one.
- Neuroblastoma Cell Lines: Molecular Features (PDF) (provided by Carol J.Thiele)
- Microarray Protocol (PDF)
- cDNA Array CGH Protocol (PDF)