Center for Cancer Research
We are the basic and clinical intramural research program of the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health.
Message from the Director
The Center for Cancer Research is the largest division of the National Cancer Institute’s intramural research program with nearly 250 basic and clinical research groups located on two campuses just outside of Washington, D.C.
The CCR is home to an extraordinary group of scientists and clinicians exploring the cutting edge of cancer and HIV/AIDS research. Our scientists work on a wide spectrum of biological and biomedical problems that range from visualizing and understanding the structure of individual genes and proteins and developing novel methods for drug discovery to inventing biomedical devices and technology and creating innovative ways to treat patients in the NIH Clinical Center.
Our scientists enjoy complete intellectual freedom and are expected to creatively and innovatively explore the most important questions in the field of cancer research and treatment. We support projects over a long time horizon allowing our investigators to pursue some of the most difficult, high-risk problems in the field, and we are always on the lookout for new challenges and the most pressing problems in modern cancer research.
During the past two decades, work in CCR has led to numerous major scientific discoveries and made a positive public health impact, including the development of groundbreaking immunotherapy approaches, HIV/AIDS testing, the creation of a human papillomavirus vaccine and more as illustrated on our Timeline of CCR Landmarks.
The success of CCR over the last 20-plus years is based on several institutional cornerstones:
- High-risk research: Near unlimited intellectual freedom allows our scientists to identify the most pressing and most challenging problems in cancer research.
- Cutting-edge technology platforms: Our investigators have free access to the most powerful technologies in cancer research.
- Bench-to-bed: Our research programs seamlessly integrate basic and clinical research to accelerate development of novel treatments based on the latest insights into basic cellular and molecular processes.
- Partnerships: We build strong, long-term and equitable partnerships with academia, clinical centers and industry.
- Training programs: Our innovative training programs educate and mentor the next generation of physician-scientists, from summer students to faculty members.
- Diversity in thought and people: We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in everything we do.
The CCR is a unique place of science where we combine diverse expertise with the freedom to thoroughly pursue the most pressing questions in cancer biology and treatment.
At CCR, we do cancer research that benefits all!
Tom Misteli, Ph.D.
Our Vision, Mission, Values and Goals
The VALUES of the CCR reflect our dedication to creating an environment that catalyzes creative, innovative and transformational research and patient care through:
Our GOALS drive our relentless pursuit to advance cancer research and care through:
CCR Office of the Director
View a listing of all CCR Office of the Director offices, with descriptions of function and staff.
Awards & Accolades
CCR’s remarkable staff have been recognized for their groundbreaking scientific discoveries, their skilled and compassionate patient care and the positive public health impact of CCR research.