The Hematopathology Section of the Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, offers a fully ACGME-accredited fellowship in hematopathology, which provides broad exposure to the diagnostic and investigative aspects of neoplastic hematopathology. Material is derived principally from an active in-house treatment program for both adult and pediatric hematologic malignancies. In addition, approximately over 2000 challenging cases are submitted in consultation each year. The Hematopathology Section collaborates with the Clinical Services of the NCI, NHLBI, and NIAID in both clinical management and research.
Participation in research is an intrinsic component of the fellowship program. Fellows have an opportunity to pursue laboratory interests related to experimental hematopathology and immunology. These investigations include the immunologic, functional, and molecular aspects of human leukemia and lymphoma. Appointments are for a period of 2 years, with extension available. In the first year, fellows focus primarily on clinical rotations, fulfilling the ACGME requirements to qualify for the board certification examination in hematopathology. In the second year, the majority of time is available for research.
The Hematopathology Section, under the leadership of Dr. Elaine S. Jaffe, provides a diagnostic service, which includes routine morphology, immunocytochemistry, flow cytometry, classical and research cytogenetics, and molecular genetics. The clinical rotations allow for exposure to these specialized diagnostic modalities. The facilities of the NCI Core Laboratories including Laser-capture microdissection, Microarray facilities, just to mention a few, provide access to the most modern molecular techniques.
Our program is integrated with the Hematology Department of the NIH Clinical Center, where fellows receive training in bone marrow pathology and laboratory hematology. Further exposure to laboratory hematology and bone marrow pathology is provided through elective rotations at George Washington University Hospital and Children’s National Medical Center. Enhanced exposure to hematopathology and flow cytometry is also obtained through an elective rotation at Johns Hopkins University Medical Center.
Candidates must have completed 3 years of training in anatomic pathology, or 4 years of training in anatomic and clinical pathology in a residency program accredited by the ACGME. Fellows must have a valid medical license in one of the 50 U.S. states, or Canada, at the time they begin their fellowship. Physicians who received their primary medical education outside the United States are eligible, as long as they meet other eligibility criteria. Prior research experience is highly desirable, as well as evidence of commitment to an academic career.
How to Apply
Meet Our People
Program Faculty and Research Interests
- Elaine S. Jaffe, M.D. - biology and classification of lymphomas
- Mark Raffeld, M.D. - molecular pathogenesis of lymphomas, molecular diagnostics
- Liqiang Xi, M.D. - molecular diagnostics
- Stefania Pittaluga, M.D., Ph.D. - pathogenesis of lymphoma, primary immunodeficiencies
- Constance Yuan, M.D., Ph.D. - flow cytometry
- Raul Braylan, M.D. - hematology, flow cytometry, plasma cell neoplasms
- Irina Maric, M.D. - hematology, bone marrow diagnosis, myeloproliferative disorders
- Katherine Calvo, M.D., Ph.D. - hematology myeloproliferative/myelodysplastic disorders
Hao-Wei Wang, M.D., Ph.D. - flow cytometry
Nisha Patel, D.O.- blood, bone marrow, coagulation/hemostasis testing
Alina Dulau-Florea, M.D.- bone marrow, molecular diagnostics
Wang, Hao-Wei, M.D.,Ph. D., Flow Cytometry graduated 2017
Panicker Balakrishna, Jayalakshmi, M.D., Roswell Park, graduated 2017
Galera, Pallavi, MBBS, Memorial-Sloan Kettering, NY, graduated 2018
Gupta, Gaurav, M.D., Ph.D., Memorial Sloan Kettering, NY, graduated 2018
Francischetti, Ivo, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, graduated 2019
Cheng, Jinjun, M.D., Ph.D., CNMC, Washington DC, graduated 2019
Zhou, Ting, Ph.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering, NY, graduated 2020
Obiorah, Ifeyinwa E, M.D., Ph.D., UVA, Charlottesville, VA, graduated 2020
Saksena, Annapurna, MBBS, M.D., U Penn, PA, graduated 2021
Karrs, Jeremiah, D.O., Dartmouth University College graduated 2021
- Wenbin Xiao, M.D., Ph.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering, NY- Graduated 2015
- Dr. Tapan Bhavsar, M.D., Ph.D., Wayne State University-School of Medicine, Detriot, MI - Graduated 2015
- Yi Xie, M.D., Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco- Graduated 2014
- Shunyou Gong, M.D., Ph.D., Northwestern University, Children's Hospital, Chicago - Graduated 2014
- Karthik Ganapathi, M.D., Ph.D., Columbia University, NY - Graduated 2013
- Xiangrong (Alex) Zhao, M.D. Ph.D., Pathology Consultants of New Mexico, Roswell, NM - Graduated 2013
- Ewa Bajor-Dattilo, M.D. Ph.D., Saint Barnabas Medical Center, West Orange, NJ - Graduated 2012
- Madhu P. Menon, M.D., Ph.D., Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI - Graduated 2012