News & Publications
Several advances in the field of cancer have been made through a comparative oncology approach. Recent national attention has highlighted the comparative oncology field:
- CSU comparative oncology documentary set for national release. March 2017.
- On The Horizon: How dogs may help fight bone cancer. March 2017
- AKC Canine Health Foundation Awards First Research Grant Through the Comparative Brain Tumor Consortium. February 2017.
- Man's best friend offers a guide to cancer treatment. February 2017.
- New tricks in canine cancer research may improve treatments for humans, too. November 2016.
- Sick Dogs Could Be Key to Unlocking Mysteries of Immunotherapy. November 2016.
- Loose the Hounds. August 2016.
- Can clinical trials on dogs and cats help people?. August 2016.
- Researchers Turn to Canine Clinical Trials to Advance Cancer Therapies. April 2016.
- Helping Dogs with Bone Cancer Aim of Clinical Trial with U.S. Cancer Institute. April 2016.
- Learning from Dogs with Cancer. New York Times. October 2015.
- Which Dogs are More Prone to Cancer? And Other Questions. Newsweek. October 2015.
- Could Fido Fetch A Cure? Chemical & Engineering News. August 2015
- Cancer in Dogs Offers Insights for Humans Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. July 2015
- Beagles help hunt for genes associated with canine, human bladder cancer. Medical Press. April 2015
- Shedding Light on Health: Research Helps People and Pets NIH News in Health. May 2014
- Giving Humans the Pet Treatment May 2014
- Man's Best Friend in More Ways Than One. 2011.
- Cancer Clues from Pet Dogs. Scientific American. December 2006
- In Trials for New Cancer Drugs, Family Pets are Benefiting, Too. New York Times. November 2006
- Cancer Strides for Dogs Assist Human Therapy. Wall Street Journal. July 2005.
Publications from the Comparative Oncology Program:
- Creation of an NCI comparative brain tumor consortium: informing the translation of new knowledge from canine to human brain tumor patients. May 2016.
- Perspectives from man's best friend: National Academy of Medicine's Workshop on Comparative Oncology. February 2016.
- A Comparative Oncology Study of Iniparib Defines Its Pharmacokinetic Profile and Biological Activity in a Naturally-Occurring Canine Cancer Model PLOS One, February 2016. (COTC Publication)
- Defining the Value of a Comparative Approach to Cancer Drug Development. December 2015.
- Defining the Pharmacodynamic Profile and Therapeutic Index of NHS-IL12 Immunocytokine in Dogs with Malignant Melanoma PLOS One, June 2015. (COTC Publication)
- Prospective molecular profiling of canine cancers provides a clinically relevant comparative model for evaluating personalized medicine (PMed) trials PLOS ONE, March 2014. (COTC Publication)
- A Compendium of Canine Normal Tissue Gene Expression PLoS One, May 2011.
- Rapamycin Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Realtionships in Osteosarcoma: A Comparative Oncology Study in Dogs. PLoS One, June 2010. (COTC Publication)
- The Creation of the Comparative Oncology Trials Consortium Pharmacodynamic Core: Infrastructure for a virtual laboratory. Veterinary Journal, July 2010.
- The Comparative Oncology Trials Consortium: Using Spontaneously Occurring Cancers in Dogs to Inform the Cancer Drug Development Pathway. PLoS Medicine, October 13, 2009.
- Guiding the Optimal Translation of New Cancer Treatments from Canine to Human Cancer Patients. Clinical Cancer Research 15:5671-7, September 15, 2009.
- Launching a Novel Preclinical Infrastructure: Comparative Oncology Trials Consortium Directed Therapeutic Targeting of TNFalpha to Cancer Vasculature. PLoS One, March 30,2009. (COTC Publication)
- Canine tumor cross-species genomics uncovers targets linked to osteosarcoma progression. BMC Genomics, December 2009
- Translation Of New Cancer Treatments From Pet Dogs To Humans. Nature Reviews Cancer. February 2008.