Center for Cancer Research
To improve the lives of cancer patients by solving important, challenging and neglected problems in cancer research and patient care.
Post-doctoral Fellow - natural products, chemistry
Position is with:
The Molecular Targets Program (MTP) of the National Cancer Institute's Center for Cancer Research has a postdoctoral position available in its Natural Products Chemistry Section. Successful candidates will engage in the isolation and structural elucidation of biologically active natural products identified in a variety of cancer-targeted high throughput screens. While primarily a chemistry position, the candidate will have opportunities to work with some of our other sections at the MTP and learn about screening, bioassay development, and biological characterization of hit compounds.
Qualifications and Job Details:
- Degree Required: Ph.D. or equivalent
- Location: Frederick, Maryland
- Appointment Type: Training Position
- Work Schedule: Full-time position
- Citizenship: US Citizenship not required - (ie, permanent resident, visa)
- Stipend: Commensurate with experience
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with a strong emphasis on the isolation and structural elucidation of natural products.
- Proficient in use of NMR and mass spectrometry instrumentation and data interpretation.
- Knowledge of separation techniques for the isolation of natural products.
- Expert knowledge of natural product databases.
- Ability to troubleshoot and maintain liquid chromatography systems.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in natural products chemistry, pharmacognosy, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, or a related discipline from an accredited research institution within the last three years. The fellowship duration is 5 years based on performance and yearly evaluations, and is not restricted to U.S. citizens. The fellowship stipend is determined based on qualifications and years of relevant experience.
- Ability to perform semi-synthetic reactions on natural products.
- Experience with large, gram-scale, isolations of natural products.
- Experience in the use of bioinformatic tools for the analysis of spectroscopic data.
- Knowledge of density functional theory calculations.
About the NCI Center for Cancer Research:
The Center for Cancer Research (CCR) is home to nearly 250 basic and clinical research groups located on two campuses just outside of Washington, D.C. CCR is part of the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and makes up the largest component of the research effort at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Centrally supported by long-term funding and a culture of complete intellectual freedom, CCR scientists are able to pursue the most important and challenging problems in cancer research. We collaborate with academic and commercial partners and advocacy groups across the world in efforts to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer and HIV/AIDS. The CCR research portfolio covers the full spectrum of biological and biomedical research. Our work ranges from basic to translational and clinical, and our clinical trials are conducted in the NIH Clinical Center, the world’s largest hospital dedicated to clinical research that offers a robust infrastructure to support CCR’s patients on an estimated 250 open studies. The success of CCR is grounded in an exceptionally strong discovery research program that provides the foundation for the seamless translation of insights from bench to bedside. Read more about CCR, the benefits of working at CCR and hear from our staff on their CCR experiences.
Frederick is the second largest city in Maryland but retains a “small town” feel, surrounded by mountain views with a vibrant Main Street community. The city offers outstanding schools, a balanced and thriving economy and a highly educated workforce.
How to Apply:Submit:
- Three References
- Cover Letter
- Summary of Research Experience
Additional Application Information:
Contact Name: Tanja Grkovic, Ph.D.
Contact Email: email@example.com
For questions contact: Tanja Grkovic, Ph.D., firstname.lastname@example.org
HHS, NIH, and NCI are Equal Opportunity Employers