Center for Cancer Research
To improve the lives of cancer patients by solving important, challenging and neglected problems in cancer research and patient care.
Cancer Next Generation Sequencing - Data Analyst
Position is with:
The Laboratory of Pathology (LP) is seeking a next generation sequencing (NGS) data scientist to participate in our expanding clinical genomic program. The LP has several NGS assays to identify genetic changes in clinical samples derived from cancer patients seen by the intramural program of the NCI. The staff scientist will work with pathologists, bioinformaticians, wet lab scientists, and support staff in the LP to analyze data and generate clinical reports.
- Identify, annotate and investigate the clinical significance of variants found in NGS-based clinical tests
- Prepare variant assessment summary, classify variants based on AMP/CAP guidelines, and assist with literature review and interpretation of variant data
- Participate in quality assurance activities and regulatory management of these clinical genomics activities in the LP
- Interact with oncologists and pathologists and/or pathologists-in-training throughout the NCI at forums such as molecular tumor boards related to these genomic analyses of clinical samples
- Participate in the preparation of manuscripts
- Participate in the investigation and clinical application of new methods and technologies for genome-wide assessment of tumor samples
Qualifications and Job Details:
- Degree Required:
- Ph.D. or equivalent
- Location: Bethesda, Maryland
- Appointment Type: Contractor Position
- Work Schedule: Full-time position
- Citizenship: US Citizenship not required - (ie, permanent resident, visa)
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
REQUIRED SKILLS: PhD or Master’s level (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, human genetics or a related field. Experience in NGS either as part of a postdoctoral research training program or through direct participation in an NGS testing facility. Experience with the application of bioinformatic and statistical tools and the analysis of genomic databases. Strong written and oral communication skills as well as managerial and organizational experience.
About the NCI Center for Cancer Research:
The Center for Cancer Research (CCR) is home to nearly 250 basic and clinical research groups located on two campuses just outside of Washington, D.C. CCR is part of the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and makes up the largest component of the research effort at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Centrally supported by long-term funding and a culture of complete intellectual freedom, CCR scientists are able to pursue the most important and challenging problems in cancer research. We collaborate with academic and commercial partners and advocacy groups across the world in efforts to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer and HIV/AIDS. The CCR research portfolio covers the full spectrum of biological and biomedical research. Our work ranges from basic to translational and clinical, and our clinical trials are conducted in the NIH Clinical Center, the world’s largest hospital dedicated to clinical research that offers a robust infrastructure to support CCR’s patients on an estimated 250 open studies. The success of CCR is grounded in an exceptionally strong discovery research program that provides the foundation for the seamless translation of insights from bench to bedside. Read more about CCR, the benefits of working at CCR and hear from our staff on their CCR experiences.
Bethesda is one of the most highly educated communities in the United States and has a nationally renowned school system. The city is a thriving suburban center close to Washington, D.C., and home to many restaurants, retailers and a flourishing arts and entertainment district.
How to Apply:Submit:
- Cover Letter
Additional Application Information:
This Scientist position is being recruited as a long-term contract position with full benefits and opportunities for advancement.
Contact Name: Antonios Papanicolau-Sengos
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions contact: Courtney Newberry, email@example.com
HHS, NIH, and NCI are Equal Opportunity Employers