By-Laws for the Fellows and Young Investigators Association
Organization and Responsibilities
Election of Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary
Conduct of meetings
By-Laws / Policy
List of Abbreviations
Mission Back to Top
B. Each current member of the CCR- Fellows and Young Investigator (FYI) Steering Committee (SC) must be familiar with these by-laws and agree that their activities as members are bound by them.
Membership Back to Top
B. The Fellow and Young Investigators Steering Committee (FYISC) shall be the legislative and executive body of the CCR-FYI, subject to the controls vested by these by-laws.
C. Current SC members should volunteer to be active members in at least one Sub-Committee and are expected to assist in the annual CCR-FYI retreat. Upon accepting membership in a Sub-Committee, individuals agree to maintain active membership for a minimum of one year. Each regular member will have one vote in all voting matters of the Sub-Committee.
D. Members will attain voting status upon completing four months as an SC member.
B. At least one representative from each office may attend the meetings of the SC or any Sub-Committee meeting.
Friends of the Steering Committee
A. This group will comprise fellows who cannot attend regular steering committee meetings but would like to participate in retreat planning and execution, such as include abstract judging and session chair activities.
Organization and Responsibilities Back to Top
B. Organize and manage meetings, including writing the agenda. Distribute meeting agendas to CCR-FYI via the CCR-postdocs listserv and CCR-SC listserv.
C. Open the annual CCR-FYI retreat, and ensure the success thereof.
D. Act as the point of contact for personnel wishing to contact the committee.
E. Maintain regular contact with staff of CCR/OD.
G. Represent the CCR-FYI at the monthly Intramural Advisory Board Meeting as a non-voting member.
H. Should continue to serve on the SC for at least one year following tenure as Chair to advise and ensure continuity of SC leadership. Service can be in the capacity of an ex-officio member, full-member, or as an executive member dependent on reelection to such a position.
B. Assume the duties of the Secretary at monthly meetings in his or her absence.
C. Serve as the liaisons to postdoctoral associations and other organizations.
D. Deliver a semi-annual report to the SC detailing the activities and plans of the SC. The report will include completed business, ongoing business, plans for the pursuant six months, requested action items, an updated roster of the SC membership, and addenda as needed. This report should be made available to all members of the CCR-FYI, through e-mail and the website.
E. Attend FELCOM meetings, as a non-voting member, in the absence of the officially designated FELCOM representative of the SC.
B. Maintain list of SC members and sub-committee members and distribute member list to the SC with the monthly meeting agenda.
C. Responsible for tracking CCR-FYI SC monthly meeting attendance and communicating with members regarding unexcused absences.
D. Responsible for the distribution of the by-laws to all new members of the SC.
E. Assume the duties of the Chair or Vice Chair in his or her absence.
F. Maintain and generally be responsible for the CCR-FYI listserv, or delegate said responsibility.
B. Upon accepting membership in the FYI Steering Committee, individuals agree to maintain active membership for a minimum of one year.
C. Be a member of at least one sub-committee.
D. Assist in dissemination of pertinent information to the postdoctoral population at large.
E. Communicate concerns to the SC from postdoctoral fellows, clinical fellows and young investigators.
F. Hold informal meetings with postdoctoral fellows as necessary.
G. The CCR-FYI SC will strive to maintain diversity and equal representation among scientific discipline, experience, gender, and foreign national status.
B. Advise the SC on the priorities and goals of the CCR and the NCI.
C. Provide support for special events as necessary.
Election of Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary Back to Top
All current Steering Committee members with at least six months of active membership are eligible for nomination for all executive positions.
A. The call for nominations will be issued to the SC members at the first meeting after the yearly retreat. Nominations will be presented to all CCR-FYI members via public email. Nominated candidates shall be informed of their nomination by the committee chair at least two weeks prior to the second meeting after yearly retreat. Candidates are then encouraged to provide a brief outline describing their credentials and goals for serving as an executive member.
B. Between the second and third meeting after the retreat, an anonymous online voting for the elected officers will be held. All nominees will be ranked as 1 thru n, where n = total number of nominees. The nominee with the lowest average ranking score will be elected chair, the next lowest ranking score at both the Bethesda campus and Frederick campus will be elected vice chairs, and the next lowest ranking score will be elected secretary.
C. Elected chair, vice chair, and secretaries will be announced to general FYI members via email.
D. Chair, vice-chair, and secretary will serve for a period of one year.
Conduct of meetings Back to Top
B. Meetings will abide by the by-laws of the CCR-FYI and will be scheduled for one hour. No meeting of the Steering committee shall exceed two hours in length except by a simple majority vote. If the meeting is to be extended, it shall be extended in half-hour increments. Unfinished business will be relegated to the next meeting.
C. Quorum is more than one-half of the active membership of the SC. A quorum shall be necessary to vote on proposed motions and to amend the by-laws of the Steering Committee. If a quorum is not present, motions may be voted on electronically, if approved by a majority of the members present.
D. Voting Motions shall carry if they receive a majority vote. All regular members present may vote. Electronic votes shall be carried out by the Chair within a limited time frame.
B. Excused absences should be coordinated with the Chair 24 hrs in advance. Excused absences include but are not limited to emergencies, annual, sick, or maternity leave, attendance at scientific meetings, or patient care, and are at the discretion of the chair. Excused absences will not be considered as a missed meeting. However, no more than 3 successive excused absences will be permitted.
C. If a member has one unexcused absence, he or she will be notified in writing by the administrative secretary. After a second unexcused absence in a one-year period, the member will be placed in probationary status and can return to good standing only after four months’ attendance. A third unexcused absence will result in immediate loss of voting privileges and ability to run for executive position on the Steering Committee for at least a period of one year.
D. Members of the postdoctoral community are invited to attend and speak at all meetings but are not eligible to vote unless they are members of the CCR-FYI SC.
B. The Chair shall call the meeting to order. The secretary will take attendance.
C. Approval of minutes. A copy of the previous meetings' minutes will be sent by e-mail to all CCR-FYI members and posted on the CCR-FYI website. The Chair will announce any changes at the meeting.
D. Reports. The Chairperson shall call only on those SC members who have reports to make. Any such request should be made to the Chair at least one week in advance of the meeting.
E. Unfinished business. Items to be considered under this heading include:
1. Any question that was pending when the previous meeting adjourned.
2. Any question which was to be considered at the previous meeting but was postponed for debate.
F. New business. The Chair shall ask if there is any new business. Any current voting SC member can introduce new business or remove from the table any matter that is on the table.
G. Announcements. The Chairperson may make, or call upon others to make any necessary announcements; or, any SC member may briefly obtain the floor for such a purpose.
Sub-Committees Back to Top
B. The Sub-Committees will be comprised of volunteers from the CCR-FYI SC membership. The duties of a sub-committee and its power to act on certain decisions shall be outlined at its formation and shall be approved by the CCR-FYI SC.
C. All sub-committee chairs, or appropriate representative in the event the chair cannot attend the meeting, are required to report during the monthly meeting of the CCR-FYI SC. Monthly reports will be submitted to the SC Chair one week prior to the CCR-FYI SC meetings.
D. Standing Sub-Committees will be established to consider continuing questions and projects. As part of their duties, all voting members of the CCR-FYI SC must also be a member of at least one of the standing Sub-Committee. Additional standing Sub-Committees may be proposed by any SC member, but must be voted into existence by majority vote. Each Sub-Committee shall elect a chair from their membership.
E. Ad hoc Sub-Committees shall be created as the need arises to perform a specific task (e.g. surveys, events).
1. Established for the purpose of examining questions for which no appropriate standing Sub-Committee exists, as determined by the SC.
2. At its formation, the ad hoc Sub-Committee shall be given a specific period of time to complete its task as determined by the SC.
3. If the ad hoc Sub-Committee cannot complete the task within the appointed time, the Chair may consider extending the appointment time or dissolving the Sub-Committee with the approval of the CCR-FYI SC membership.
I. Retreat Back to Top
1. Responsible for planning the annual CCR-FYI retreat. However, all CCR-FYI SC members are expected to assist with the retreat.
2. Work with the administrative support personnel (including outside contractors) to determine the location for the retreat, the dates, and the schedule for events that need to be completed prior to the retreat.
3. Produce the schedule for the retreat. This schedule must be approved by a simple majority of SC members at a regular CCR-FYI SC meeting.
4. Generate a list of potential invited speakers. Any SC member may make suggestions for speakers.
5. Invite speakers for the CCR-FYI retreat, assign CCR-FYI SC members to each speaker to act as a host, and organize volunteers to introduce each speaker.
6. Organize publicity for the Retreat with the Publicity Sub-Committee.
7. Generate a list of abstract categories and criteria for judging abstracts.
8. Organize volunteers to judge abstracts, and to moderate the Oral Presentation sessions.
9. Distribute abstracts to the judges, and organize the scores.
10. All financial support for the retreat comes from the CCR/OD. Spending is approved by the CCR/OTE.
II. Community Life Back to Top
1. Newsletter. Responsible for writing, editing, and producing a newsletter for postdoctoral fellows and young investigators at NCI that will be published every 3 months. Contact all other Sub-Committee chairs, appropriate members of the administration and any other persons deemed appropriate to obtain a brief account of activities, campus developments and issues to be published in newsletter.
2. Website. Develop and maintain CCR-FYI website and alumni website. Contact all other Sub-Committee chairs, appropriate members of the administration and any other persons deemed appropriate to obtain a brief account of activities, campus developments and issues to appear on the website.
3. Organize quarterly social events for the SC, as well as CCR post-doctoral community at-large (e.g. monthly happy or coffee hours).
4. Orientation. Assist the Office of Training and Education with new employee orientations to introduce CCR-FYI to the in-coming employees.
5. A member of the CCR-FYI will be appointed/volunteer to serve as either the clinical or basic science CCR representative to FELCOM and provide monthly reports of FELCOM activities.
6. At least one member of the CCR-FYI will serve as the National Postdoctoral Associate (NPA) representative and provide monthly reports on NPA activities.
III. By-Laws/Policy Back to Top
1. Members of the By-laws committee will meet once per year to update and revise the by-laws. They will also be responsible for making amendments as necessary.
2. All proposed changes will be discussed and approved by the majority of members of the Steering Committee.
3. The by-laws Sub-Committee shall consist of at least 3 individuals including the executive officers of the Steering Committee.
IV. Scientific Back to Top
1. Responsible for CCR Fellows seminar series.
2. Responsible for updating and distributing a scientific survey at annual CCR-FYI retreat and reporting the survey results of the previous year within four months of the retreat.
3. Responsible for presenting the results of the scientific survey to the Intramural Advisory Board, Principle Investigators, and Fellows and posting it on the CCR-FYI web site.
Amendments Back to Top
1. The SC shall review the by-laws at least annually to ensure that they remain current.
2. The Chair of the Sub-Committee will announce the review period to SC members to allow input from all members. The review period shall be at least 10 days in length.
3. Proposed changes to the by-laws will be sent to the by-laws Sub-committee, where they will be written, and then submitted to the SC for approval.
4. Proposed changes to the by-laws can be made at any time following discussion at a regularly scheduled SC meeting pending the vote of the SC membership.
5. Proposed changes should be submitted in writing to the Chair and presented for discussion at the next scheduled SC meeting.
B. All proposed amendments to the CCR-FYI by-laws shall be publicly posted at least one week in advance of the CCR-FYI SC meeting at which they are to be considered. Public posting shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, posting on the CCR-FYI web site.
C. A majority vote by SC members is required to pass the amendment onto the By-law sub-committee for further discussion and changes.
D. A 2/3 vote of a quorum of members is required for the amendment to be attached (or otherwise included in) the by-laws.
E. Distribute updated by-laws to all CCR-FYI members.